Many vapers who have recently started using a vape device with replaceable coils may wonder, how long do these coils last?
As a guide, you should expect your vape coil to last between one to two weeks before it needs to be replaced. However, how long a vape coil lasts is never guaranteed. There are a number of variables which may affect how long your vape coil lasts, such as:
- How frequently you vape.
- The VG/PG ratio of your e-liquid.
- The vape wattage used.
- The temperature your vape heats to.
- Whether you have primed your coil effectively.
- The overall quality of your vape device and the coil itself.
Because of this range of variables, how often you need to change your vape coil may vary even if you’re vaping the same amount each day and using the same type of coils each time.
How to make a vape coil last longer
There are a number of things you can do to prolong the life of a vape coil, including:
- Regularly cleaning your tank and coil This helps to prevent residue build-up and will extend the lifespan of your coil.
- Priming your coil before its first use “Priming” a coil means soaking it in e-liquid before inserting into the device. This helps it to wick the e-liquid from the tank more effectively and prevents burnt-tasting dry hits.
- Being consistent with your e-liquid Regularly changing the VG/PG ratio of your e-liquid is more likely to cause your coil to clog.
Do all vaping devices require replacement coils?
Some users may find the need to change coils an inconvenience. However, not all vaping devices require coil replacements. Unlike box-mod vape devices, or indeed many ‘pen style vape devices’ which require higher levels of maintenance – including regularly changing coils - pre-filled pod vapes are more straightforward. Simply replace the whole pre-filled pod once the liquid has run out – no need to worry about changing coils in the device.
Due to their ease of use, pre-filled pod vaping devices are popular with many, and could be an option to consider if you find changing coils too off-putting an experience.
There are also other alternatives to smoking outside of vaping, for those who are unable or unwilling to completely give up tobacco and/or nicotine. By their design, the alternatives listed below do not use coils.
Nicotine pouches are small sacks containing nicotine that are placed between the upper lip and gum, to allow a slow release of nicotine into the bloodstream. Simply dispose of the pouch once used, no further maintenance is required here.
Heated tobacco products use real tobacco and no liquids. Unlike cigarettes which rely on the burning of tobacco to produce smoke, heated tobacco products heat the tobacco to a lower temperature to produce a nicotine containing vapour.
In using tobacco and no liquids, a different technology to vapes is used, without the need for coils. With these products, the only maintenance required involves device charging and cleaning, no components, such as coils, need to be replaced on a regular basis.
You can find out more about heated tobacco here.